and analyze the transcript of those speeches and then relate the views of philosophers or philosophical theories that relate to these speeches.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered the speech on August 28, 1963 at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.
Governor George Wallace delivered the speech on January 14, 1963 during his inaugural address.
Click to access wallace_seg63.pdf
After listening to and analyzing each speech, construct the opposing arguments Dr. King and George Wallace would be likely to make, based on their statements in the speeches, regarding each of the following five philosophical issues:
1. the legitimacy of positive law versus natural law
2. a subject’s duty to obey the law
3. how law should or should not be used to promote the common good
4. harm to others principle as justification for his views
5. the role morality should play in determining the aims of law
Identify the statements in the speech that support your position.
Justify your arguments by referencing the views of philosophers or philosophical theories.
Leave a Reply